A variety of flowers like orchids, including the Phalaenopsis species, is famous for its variety of colors. Under natural conditions, they grow in tropical forests or mountain ranges. These flowers are diverse when grown at home, and most of them do not require significant care. Thanks to just such features, gardeners growing indoor flowers have recently increasingly chosen orchids as their favorite home plants.
General information and methods
Using fertilizers to feed orchids is a necessary process for their care. The nutrients contained in the substrate are stretched by the root system of the plants, and also washed by irrigation water through special drainage holes that are located in the landing tank.
For these reasons, flowers grown at home, need periodic feeding with mineral, as well as a variety of organic fertilizers. The instruction that allows you to perform not just good, but the best feeding, is extremely simple. As a rule, a composition that has received a significant number of positive reviews is subject to use. Fertilizing an orchid is extremely important competently.
How to fertilize orchids
There are several golden rules for feeding such beautiful houseplants. It should be remembered that the cultivation of orchids of any kind, including Phalaenopsis, must be based not only on the feedback of experienced gardeners, but also on fairly strict rules for the use of fertilizers:
- It is strictly forbidden to feed during and immediately after the transplant is completed;
- the correct application of nutrients should be timed to the time of the growing season of the plant grown at home;
- it is forbidden to fertilize home-grown orchids not only at the flowering stage, but also sick or weakened by pests;
- properly performed top dressing should not burn the root system; feeding after watering is optimal;
- during spring, and also in autumn, flowers should be fertilized no more than once every two weeks, and in winter and summer such events are held once a month, which is associated with low air temperatures and short daylight hours in winter or a rise in temperature indicators - in summer.
During the period of active flowering, plants should not be fed, and violation of this rule can provoke a reduction in the flowering time.
Feeding orchids at home
Top dressing must meet several basic requirements at once, including:
- acidity from pH = 5 to pH = 7;
- the presence of a small concentration of nutrients in relation to fertilizers for another type of indoor plants;
- the content of substances that prevent the deposition of salts, and trace elements in the chelate type;
- the product should contain high-quality amino acids and essential vitamins that provide the optimal degree of assimilation of nutrients by a plant grown at home;
- Feeding should stimulate the immune system of indoor plants.
Growers with experience most often prefer high-quality mineral fertilizers. The use of organic substances is often associated with an overabundance of nitrogenous compounds, as well as the difficulty of their proper dosage.
Fertilizers from different manufacturers
To perform top dressing, you can use specialized tools with marks on the package. As a rule, they are marked "for orchids." The usual version of fertilizers intended for indoor plants has a slightly different composition of various nutrients in higher dosages than is required for feeding orchids. Nitrogen, phosphorus and potash constituents are the main components of such fertilizers. The quantitative content of such substances is always indicated by the manufacturer on the label with the letters N.P.K.
It should be remembered that fertilizers with N.P.K., equal to 4: 6: 6, stimulate the flowering processes of any orchid, including Phalaenopsis. Indicators N.P.K. at the level of 4: 3: 3 stimulate the growth of green mass of plants grown at home. In the arsenal of experienced gardeners, you can observe two varieties of fertilizers, among which there is a composition with high nitrogen contents, which is necessary for growing leaves, as well as fertilizers with a high phosphorus content, which allows the plant to increase peduncles for the flowering process.
The best fertilizers for Phalaenopsis orchids are concentrated fertilizers such as Garden of Miracles, Oasis, Bona Forte, Rainbow and "Ideal". Any of these tools allow you to implement the root version of top dressing or foliar top dressing in the form of spraying. The instructions for use of such drugs should be strictly observed. A high level of fertilizer concentration in the substrate is extremely dangerous.
Specialists recommend using the concentration of the feeding solution, reduced by ten times, which is indicated by the manufacturer in the instructions. For each liter of water, about one milliliter of liquid fertilizer or the same amount of stick-type mineral mixtures should be dissolved. Pokon, Fasco, Bona Forte and "Agricola".
- Agricola is a mineral fertilizer designed specifically for feeding orchids. This fertilizer helps to improve the appearance of plants and allows for quality growth. The advantages are the ease of dosing, as well as high-quality solubility in water. "Dr. Foley" is a drug for foliar top dressing. The drug is convenient to use and contains not only vitamins, but also the necessary acids, as well as trace elements.
- Means Brexil Combi is a cocktail of trace elements that are necessary for plants with a lack of iron-containing substances. Popular and liquid complex fertilizer for orchids "Bona Forte". It consists of three active components in the form of macronutrients. Bona Forte has many benefits. The drug contains a full range of substances that are necessary for a full and balanced nutrition of orchids at home. "Bona Forte" is convenient to breed. In addition, it is affordable.
- Fertilizer sticks Pokon developed in the Netherlands. The company "Pokon" has its own base center for research. "Pokon" is used to feed twice a month. The tool is convenient to use and affordable.
- A drug Fasco and soil "Fasco Flower Happiness" Designed specifically for orchids. Under the influence of the active substances that make up the "Fasco", "Phalaenopsis" well build up green mass. Soil "Flower happiness" is very convenient. The composition of the soil "Flower happiness" is as close as possible to the ideal.
Artificial feeding is not a vital process for growth and development. A significant amount of trace elements of orchids is independently obtained from the environment. However, if the plant is regularly and properly fertilized at the right time, then growth is accelerated, and flowering is even more plentiful.
After reading the corresponding article on our resource, you can learn about how to independently prepare the soil for orchids.
Tips & Tricks
The method of root dressing is designed to qualitatively replenish the supply of macroelements and trace elements of healthy orchids. Before top dressing, the root system of the flower should be thoroughly moistened. Fertilizer should be diluted in warm and clean tap water until a solution is obtained in the concentration indicated on the product label. In a container with clean water, you must slowly immerse the flower pot with the plant, pouring it with the fertilizer solution obtained from above. Leave the plant in this position for 20 minutes. The excess volume of the solution is removed through flowing into the pan.
Fertilizers for orchids
The foliar feeding method is used at the stage of active plant growth, as well as in the presence of signs of chlorosis, which is a deficiency of trace elements. In addition, such dressings are used for damage to the root system. Conduct leaf feeding should be in the morning or in cloudy weather, so that direct sunlight does not fall on the leaves of the plant. Thorough spraying ensures that the drug enters the aerial roots and leaves from two sides. Flower buds and the flowers themselves should be protected from the solution. Otherwise, rotting and dying off of growth points may occur. Immediately after feeding, the plant should be carefully inspected and dried.